Wednesday, August 2, 2006

First 2 days on the job

We arrived at San Onofre Bluffs State Beach yesterday afternoon to begin our Camp Hosting job. We have full hookups. Our site is located about half way down the 3 mile long park and we are backed in toward the ocean. From our rear windows we have a glorious view of the ocean that people pay millions of dollars for!

The ranger whom we work for came by yesterday afternoon and dropped off some paperwork we need to fill out. He made arrangements to come back today at 10 to pick it up and begin our training and told us to take the rest of the day off.

During the day we have high speed commuter trains going by every half hour or so. They are not very noisy and since they are so short, are here and gone in just a few seconds. The road noise from Interstate 5 is not nearly as bad as we feared either. It is far enough away that we just barely hear trucks. It is nowhere near as noisy as it was in Aubrey where we were for a few months. There are also a couple freight trains that go by each night and they are going to take some getting used to. Two went through last night between 10 and 11. They lasted forever and were quite noisy. Dianna tells me that another one went by this morning between 5 and 6, but you couldn't prove it by me!

There are also a lot of helicopters from Camp Pendleton in the air most of the day. I have no idea how anyone thinks helicopters can sneak up on anyone in battle situations since we can hear them from a long way off. We also heard some tanks firing this afternoon, but they were not near. In fact, I was not sure what the sound was at first. Much less noise than the fireworks we saw each evening in Valencia.

At this point, after only being here for a little over 24 hours, we really can't understand why someone else has not jumped at the opportunity to host at this campground. Although the noise is certainly more than you would have in woodland campgrounds, it is certainly not as bad as might be expected. And the views and climate more than make up for it. I think we are going to enjoy this.

This morning at about 9:30 I got a call from the ranger. He said something had come up and he would not be able to train us today after all, so he said to take the day off. Hey! I can get used to this!

Since we didn't have to work, we rode the scooter into San Clemente to do some shopping and then went to the beach for the afternoon. Maybe tomorrow we will get trained and start doing something worthwhile. Then again, maybe not.


  1. Ho, hum!! Sounds like a great way to spend a vacation at the ocean. Don't get so lazy that you forget to update--there has to be something worth talking about, especially on the weekend.

  2. How far are you from the water? Can you hear the surf?