Saturday, August 12, 2006

Life is a beach and Dad Widener's surgery

Our days have been relatively peaceful since our last post. We do camp checks twice a day. The first is at about 7 to 7:30 and takes about an hour. The afternoon check starts about 12:15 and takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The work is not difficult but sometimes is it tough to figure out who is where and why. Basically in the morning we check for people who came in after the kiosk closed. We leave notices on their vehicles to come to the kiosk and pay. The afternoon check is to be sure people have vacated at checkout time so the new campers can get into their space. Sounds like it should be really simple, but it is not always. In addition to the 175 camp sites the park can have up to 800 day use vehicles each day. People are always parking where they don't belong and others do not want to leave by checkout time. Rangers write a lot of citations.

After our morning check we usually eat breakfast and then pick up trash on one of the trails for a while. It's good exercise and the park does not has enough staff to keep it clean. Many people stop to say thanks for cleaning. I always tell them I used to think pigs were four legged animals.

After our check on Thursday we drove up to Wideners. Dianna's dad had surgery on Friday to remove some more cancerous spots on his face. These were relatively small so it was not bad. He was awake and ready to be discharged by 11 am. He is feeling fine.

I left Dianna at Wideners and came back to San Onofre last night. I will go back to get her Sunday afternoon.

I know it does not sound like much, and that's exactly what is happening. We are just enjoying the beach area weather and doing very little else. Tough life.


  1. I hope someone comes in late at night and argues with you about whether they actually "spent the night". Remember Big Lake?
    But you probably have the rules more carefully defined than they did.

  2. I don't remember that. Maybe I wasn't there. The only campground host I remember is the one at Navajo Lake who always wanted me to sing.

    Sounds like a cushy life.

  3. Daryl -- I do remember that and have actually thought about it. For those of you who do not know what we are talking about, we went to Big Lake one weekend and did not arrive until about 2 or 3 AM. When the campground host came around in the morning to tell us we needed to pay for the night I gave him a hard time about not getting my money's worth since I was not there for the whole night. He said I would not have to pay if I had come in after 7AM or something. I knew I had to pay but was just having fun with him. He was very nice about it.

    All I do here is put a notice on their windshield. It's up to the guys at the kiosk to sort it out. I understand that lots of people blow through the gate and do not pay. Not surprising. $25 for a 6 hour parking space with no hookups is a lot of money.